Sunday, October 15, 2006

Red Hot Chili Peppers

No, I'm not talking about the band. To check my e-mail I use a program called Eudora which was originally designed for Macs but is now also compatible with with my Dell desktop. I love Eudora because it checks all my different e-mail accounts at once and puts them all on one screen. I don't have to sign in to get my e-mail because I don't actually have to open an ISP to get to it. I can still check my individual accounts through Comcast and Yahoo when I am away from home. The way I keep it set up is so that Eudora is always open when I'm signed in on my computer and it dings when a new message comes in. This is incredibly convenient as I am no longer a compulsive e-mail checker; I just know when I have mail

Eudora is free software yet it is jam packed with features. Besides the address book and stationary, I haven't really figured out how to use very many of these yet (despite having the software for more than two years.) The other day I wrote an e-mail to a friend containing what my sister would call a "bad word." When I clicked the send button a window popped up telling me, "Your message is the kind of thing that might get your keyboard washed out with soap, if you get my drift. You might consider toning it down." Amazing, my computer actually has a sense of humor. Well, against my better judgement I took out the offending word and sent the e-mail. I know you can override this feature but I can of enjoy the program's cheeky humor.

I didn't really think anything of it until I got an e-mail the next day that had three red chili peppers next to it in the queue. These appeared in a category that Eudora calls the Mood Watch status. I opened the e-mail and sure enough there was an f-bomb that one of my friends had dropped into his narrative, just for emphasis. Although I was in NO way offended, it all seemed to make sense. Eudora screens the e-mails and if there is anything offensive it is indicated with red hot chili peppers. Now that's a laugh.

No comments: