Saturday, March 01, 2008

T.G.I. Fridays

This morning my host mom asked me if I had plans for the day. After explaining in my jolted Chinese that so far I didn't have plans but that I was waiting for a friend to call, she asked if I wanted to go out to dinner tonight. I said that would be fine and told her I would plan to hang out with my friends tomorrow. I was expecting to go eat at one of my family's favorite local places, but instead they decided they wanted to have American food. Although it is sometimes nice to eat food I am familiar with, the Chinese food is much better than the international food here so I have generally tried to stay away from Chinese American food. It's sort of like how I'm not a big fan of American Chinese food. Anyway, we ended up at Sizzler's, a California-based steak house. I've never been to a Sizzler's in the US but I had heard of it before and it turned out to not be too bad. The restaurant was located in the embassy district and next door was a Haagen-Daaz and a T.G.I. Fridays. It was novel to see other foreigners and my family had fun listening me to guess where everyone was from. The highlight of the night for me was the sign for T.G.I. Fridays. The Chinese translated the name of the restaurant literally as Friday, the day of the week.

No comments: