Monday, November 27, 2006

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain


Over Thanksgiving break I was sitting around with my family looking for a movie to watch On Demand through Comcast. The recent movies they were offering that we hadn't yet seen didn't look any good so we decided to take a gander at the free movies which are mostly older stuff. I was scrolling down the list and my aunt suggested we watch this thing with a really long title. She has excellent taste in film so we went with it and I was blown away.

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain is a British film made in 1995. It is categorized as a romantic comedy but it is really a work of art. The photography is unlike anything I have seen in recent movies. Set in Wales, the scenery reminded me of a recent trip to Devon, England. The acting is really quite wonderful especially Tudor and Hugh Vaughn who play twins Thomas Twp and Thomas Twp Too. Despite being a romance this film is really a strong anti-war story, set during the time of WWI. It shows soldiers coming home shell shocked and in pieces from the trenches of France.

There is really little more that I can say. This film is so jam packed with amazing photography and great acting that everyone should really see it. There were shots of the mountain that gave me chills and quite a few moments that split my sides. When it came out in 1995 it wasn't a big deal because there was no sex or violence but this is by far one of the best movies I have seen since then. Best of all, its family friendly. The rating is PG-13 for mild language but due to the strong dialect most of the "bad words" wouldn't be understood by young ears. For a feel good film that shows why movies are made, this is the one to watch.

No comments: